With New Year’s Day coming up, many of us are probably reflecting back on the past year while also setting ourselves some new year resolutions. Being so I want to challenge you to take a big jump forward and instead of a new YEAR resolution, instead set a new LIFE resolution. Here are some thoughts and questions I am asking myself and a good starting point for you as well.
Start by thinking about all that you have accomplished this past year and maybe even the past five years. Then ask yourself if you are happy about how far you have come. Either way, this gives you a starting point in setting goals for the future and will help you gauge your progress.
Listed below are just 8 of the questions we should ask ourselves to get started. There are many other questions to consider but this will help “jump start” your thought process. I also encourage you to search your heart, analyze your walk, and take inventory of your gifts as you go along. Then figure out a way to use them for the better next year and for the rest of your life!
- Is my health where it needs to be? Yes, I am talking about exercise. Don’t hate me. But it truly is a serious question to consider. Most of us all can be in better shape. The key is to not try to do it all at once. Take it slow and enjoy it as you go. When you are healthy and feeling good, you can do much more in life! Remember that your body is a temple.
- What do I do often that does not help me grow? Are you watching a lot of television or spending too much time playing games? We are all given the same amount of time each day. Those that grow and succeed use their time wisely and squeeze as much growing time in as possible. Make a habit of NOT watching television.
- Am I happy with my career? If you are not happy where you work then why work there? If it is for the money then you are allowing that to control your life and happiness. Listen…it is NOT worth it! Find your passion and start working on it with a goal of switching over from your day job to your God-given dream job.
- Is my home life as good as it can be? How is your relationship with your kids or spouse? If it is rocky, maybe look for ways to start mending them. Become intentional in your relationships and find ways that bond you together. Don’t worry about money. Spending time does not mean spending money.
- Am I giving back to the community and making a difference? Life is not just about you. In fact it is about working together for the betterment of us all. What have you done to improve your community and what can you do next year to make it better? Give of yourself.
- Is there anything about my attitude that needs adjusting? I will admit that I had many things about my attitude toward life that needed to change over the years. And I STILL have some that I am working on now. So I encourage you to seek out anything that is negative about your own attitude and work on turning it around. It will not be done overnight but don’t let that stop you.
- How are my finances? It is no secret that money can destroy a person if used unwisely. Are you living above your means? Does money and stuff control you? God tells us to be free and that includes being free from debt. I admit I am not debt free right now, but I am getting closer to it every day. I hope you will do the same.
- Am I as close to God that I should be? This is kind of a trick question because we all can be closer to God. It is also the most important. I believe that the closer we get to God, then all these other questions and more work themselves out.
The relationship between you and Him will change every aspect of your life for the better as you draw nearer. So never stop seeking out more of God and reading His word. Let your life be a living example of His love, grace, and teachings.
Again, these are just some questions to get you started. I know life is busy but please take some time to reflect and become determined to be better and live better. Your life is not meant to be lived defeated. It was made by the God of all creation and He designed you to do marvelous things while here on Earth.
Make a resolution with yourself today that you will live better, grow wiser, and love deeper from this point forward. Understand that it is YOUR life and you only have one shot at it. So why not make the most of it while you still can? Start living!
Have a Happy New Year and a Blessed Life always!
Share your thoughts by clicking here.