Marriage is a fascinating journey that all starts with a spark of love that becomes bonded by God and a vow. That vow is a promise between both to love and honor through trials and triumphs. No marriage is perfect and is why we work at it daily. Because of that, I decided to be intentional about being a better husband and put together a PLEDGE for my beautiful wife.
I have been married to my very awesome wife for many years now and am thankful for each and every one of them. It has been a journey full of adventures that has included many rollercoaster moments. With each one we always arrive back at the launching deck with our hair a little messed up and ready to go again!
While looking back on our years together I can see when and where I have made mistakes and let her down at times. I know that I am not the perfect husband and because of this, I realize I have room for improvement.
As with my dreams and goals, I want to be intentional about being a better husband and having a powerful marriage. One that is so bonded that the enemy tremors in fear because he knows victory is ours!
The other day I was thinking about how I could be better in my role as the husband and something dawned on me. Why not write it down just as I do for my dreams and other goals in life? So I did and came up with an acronym for the word PLEDGE.
I share this incase you or someone you know is also wanting to empower their own marriage and work at being a better husband. However, do know that a powerful marriage takes both sides working together with God firmly intertwined.
- Provide: I will provide you with all the basics of life as in food, clothing, and shelter. However, I will not stop there. No. You are too precious for that. I will also provide you with support when times are hard, an ear for when you just want to talk, and a smile when you need one or not.
- Lead: When you chose me as your husband, I promised to be the head of our family. My role is not of commanding but of guidance. I will lead you with love, understanding, and knowledge. Also, I will be the spiritual leader focusing daily on directions from God above so that we may always step in His directions to our destiny.
- Embrace: My love is deep and my words are true but I know you need confirmation though hugs. I will remember to embrace you not only with my arms but also with my love. You are precious to me and I will hold you tightly every day even if it is for a minute or two.
- Defend: In times of trouble and attacks, you do not need to worry as I am on the front line battling for your security. My role is to provide comfort and peace so that you may live and care for our children. Do not fear the enemy’s plans for I will overcome them all through the grace and power of God Almighty.
- Give: My heart is yours and so will be my devotion. I will sacrifice for your love and joy because it is you that I give myself. Married, we are one and will face joy and discouragement together. Along the way, I will give of myself more to bring happiness and smiles to your life.
- Encourage: You have dreams and goals and I will be there daily to encourage you to reach for them all. My words will only be those that give life to your heart and I will lift you when you are exhausted. Together we will claim victory of your God-given dreams.
I am not perfect and never will be. However, that will not keep me from always giving my best and trying to be better. My commitment is firm and focus is set.
My work to be the husband you deserve and need will never end. It is a joy and an honor that you chose me many years ago to be your husband. For that I am dedicated to giving you the best I have.
There is a supernatural power when a marriage is working together as one with God. Nothing the enemy throws at them will prevail and there will be nothing God has planned for your marriage that will not come to pass.
Remember that a powerful marriage is produced by persistence. The roles of a husband and of a wife are just as equally important for a strong marriage. When one weakens, it puts greater strain on the other.
Take some time today and think about what you can do to be the man or woman your spouse needs. Seek the Word of God and ask yourself this question: “How can I be better?”
Share your thoughts by clicking here.